Sunday, August 4, 2013

Trapeze by Simon Mawer

Trapeze by Simon Mawer

I am a child of World War 2 , having been brought up and spent my childhood in England during the whole course of the war. I was very small at the time so have limited true memories of that difficult time.
I do remember falling down the air raid shelter built in our back garden , but not during an air raid only when I was playing. I also remember at kindergarten having to clutch my cushion and go to the cloakroom to sit there while the sirens sounded. I don't remember being frightened but then I didn't realize what was happening.
I think most of my other memories come from seeing films about that time and reading books. This is one book that I have just read and it is a very readable novel based on actual experiences of a young half French and half English girl who was trained to become a helper in the French resistance. She comes from a secluded upbringing and has to almost change her personality to become a trained fighter. This is based on the true story of 39 women of the French Section of the Special Operation Executive that were in the war from 1941 -1944
It was very interesting to have a picture drawn to the actual training of these brave and remarkable young women who were dropped into a war zone to help win the war.


It is a book you can't put down and it has a surprise ending.

1 comment:

  1. I remember after the war being shocked when the barrage balloons disappeared, I thought they were part of the sky!
    I shall check out Simon mawer
    John

    ReplyDelete