Sunday, February 10, 2013

Daffydown -Dilly


Daffydown Dilly has come up to town,
In her yellow petticoat and her green gown”

The  name 'Daffy-down-dilly' originates from the novel Little Daffydowndilly which was written by the acclaimed American author Nathaniel Hawthorne (1804-1864). Nathaniel Hawthorne was born in Salem, Massachusetts. His most famous novel is 'The Scarlet Letter' (1850).

This painting was one I did a few years ago.Not one of my better attempts!!




Every February we start looking for them. I watch little green shoots appearing in places I hope they will appear. As far back as early January this year I saw the signs and it brightened my whole outlook on life.
 As I walk each morning I check constantly to see if I can see the cloaked flower heads appearing.

I read a story once of a lady who every year from when as a young girl she bought one daffodil bulb and planted it in her garden. Every year it would flourish and by the time she was old , every Spring her yard was a gorgeous mass of yellow and people came from far and wide to see it.
Daffydown Dilly has come up to town in her yellow petticoat and her green gown” and she bought lots of friends with her!!

Well our first daffs are now blooming so everyone rejoice, Spring is on the way , even if half the country is still covered in the heavy wet white stuff!!
Just seeing them cheers you up


1 comment:

  1. Your Daffodil painting is beautiful - one of your better attempts!
    Glad to see the energy returning in Texas
    John

    ReplyDelete