Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Soup day again, Spicy Carrot and Garlic Crouton Soup


Spicy carrot soup with garlic crouton soup



You know it's a miserable day when all 3 cats and 2 dogs are curled up on cushions and chairs and don't want to go out. One step outside the door gave the reason why. A cold wet front had blown in from the west, blanketing Arizona and Oklahoma with snow and giving where we live showers of rain and sleet pellets. Cold and nasty! Just right day for hot soup.

So Mike got right with it especially as the golf game that he was watching from Arizona was postponed due to snow. Most unusual.He found in his favorite Soup Bible,the hot looking soup,Spicy carrot with garlic crouton soup.

Spicy it certainly was- black pepper , cilantro ,cumin and cayenne pepper added to the carrot and onion.
The garlic on the croutons you could smell from outside the kitchen. Strangely enough there wasn't much taste of garlic in the actual soup.The croutons, floating in the soup were fine and the garlic gave them just the right amount of flavor. The texture was okay and once I got used to my mouth being neutralized, I found it very nice. Mike found it only so so and gave this soup an 8.as did I.

I had prepared myself for tasting with a combination of a very nice sweet sherry ( pre dinner drink )and then some bread dipped in olive oil and balsamic vinegar( just lovely) and then to cap it all, a nice white Californian Sterling Chardonnay. If we are to believe the bottle it has the flavors of peach, guava. (what is that), pineapple. tasty oak and vanilla. I admit I really couldn't detect any of those tastes but maybe the spicy soup and left my taste buds a little ragged.

All in all it was a lovely lunch and we feel warm and cozy now. I hope the weather gets better soon. I have gardening to do

1 comment:

  1. Hi Shirley, That soup looks good, and glad to see you are enjoying
    it, It must have been quiet around your house with the pets all
    having a snooze. Who needs a weather forecaster when you have
    a cat or a dog? I'm sure the know even before we do what the weather will be, Pheobe our girl knows she does the same as yours
    breakfast and retires to her bed until lunch. She sure doesn't like
    Jiohn banging away upstairs she'll glad when all the noise is
    finished which should be the end of the week. take care

    ReplyDelete