Thursday, February 14, 2013

Valentine's Day 2013


Valentine's Day 2013

When did Valentine's Day get to be such a big day on the yearly calendar? Its so overwhelming these days where red hearts and color pink invade our world as soon as New Year has passed. For me it has really become too commercialized.

That said it doesn't hurt to take time to remember your special person in a way that suits you both .Mike and I rarely go out for a meal on Valentine's day because the restaurants are crowded and it does seem the prices ( and noise)get higher. Sometimes we will send a nice card or funny cards to each other. Most often, these days Mike will get a nice box of chocolates for me, which we will share.



I noticed today that the African violet I bought a couple of years ago for him for Valentines must have know it was the special day as it put out it's first bloom of the season. Now that surely isn't a coincidence is it?





When we were young teenagers cards were always sent to a secret admirer and half the fun was trying to guess who your admirer(s) was and how terrible you felt if you didn't get even one card.

I remember when I was teaching grade one kids we had a special post box for Valentine Day and in it would go all their cards, homemade and bought, which we would distribute later on in the day while we had a party with the lovely gooey pink and red cup cakes that the moms had made. It was my job as teacher to make sure EVERY child got at least one card!! I know how important that is!

So have fun on Valentine's day in what ever way you choose to do it.


1 comment:

  1. I like the fact you did celebrate Valentines, you are right unfortunately
    it has got of hand big time! but you guys still Habe some genuine
    sentiment between you.
    I had a real fancy for Pickled onions while I was in the Bulk Barn
    while I was picking up some ginger and walnuts. John presented
    me with a jar of English Pickled onions (yummy) we might be
    older but romance hasn't completely vanished!

    ReplyDelete