Monday, February 25, 2013

Watching Movies


Oscar Day
February 24 and it's Oscar night and I will probably watch it to see some of the movies and stars that I should have seen in 2012. I very rarely go to the movies these days . Mike doesn't like watching movies so he doesn't go and I never seem to get to the movies although I am always meaning to go. I certainly would like to see 'Lincoln” and I sure hope it wins an Oscar.
I do most of my watching movies using Netflix having an old Wii player so I can stream movies straight to my TV. Easy! ( well most of the time)
I have watched over the past few years most of the old classical movies , a lot of the newer movies and a plethora of BBC series of dramas and mystery detective films.
Also from time to time I watch international movies.
The man from Beijing is such a movie. It was originally written by a Swedish writer Henry Mankell translated into English, bought by a German company who produced the film. So the film is all in German, but filmed in Sweden and China and I watch it with English subtitles.
It is an intriguing mystery of a mass murder in Sweden where a whole family with the same name is murdered. Then it is linked to history in North America and China. It is a long movie ( 3 hours plus) and covers many aspects of International corruption and political intrigue.

Surprisingly enough I find watching these foreign films quite easy because after about 5 minutes your brain is automatically reading the subtitles and you are fully involved in the plot. I was equally surprised to actually remember some German as well. Obviously some learning is never lost.

No comments:

Post a Comment