Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Lilies for Easter? Maybe.


Lilies for Easter? Maybe.

One of my presents for my birthday from my granddaughter and her husband was a lovely big box of lily corms. I got sick just around my birthday and it was almost 10 days before I could get outside and find a spot for planting. I know my regular orange day lilies appear very early each spring so I knew I had to get the new ones in the ground as soon as possible or it would be too late for flowering this year.
When I opened the box I found that some of the corms were already sending our tiny shoots so it must have been the right time. I put them in with some good potting soil to help them along, mulched them with some leaf mold ,- we have lots of that and I thought it might still be necessary as we are still having fairly cold nights and I didn't want the new shoots to freeze. I have been making sure to water them fairly regularly as we have had little rain this Spring so far.
Lily shoot appearing already

Now we will wait to see if they look anything like they appear on the box. It will be interesting to see.What ever happens I think this was a lovely birthday present which hopefully will give us all a lot of pleasure. Thanks Chrissy and Ben.
I shall be happy even  if only a few lilies bloom. It will be a delight for Easter although Easter is early this year. If not there's always next year. That's what it's like to be a gardener in Texas!

No comments:

Post a Comment