Tuesday, July 30, 2013

Golden Goblet and Sunset #2

Golden Goblet in Sunset #2


So quite disappointed with my first attempt at this challenge painting,I decided to switch to acrylic paint on canvas. The first problem I en-counted was to find a canvas board more or less the right size and shape. I settled on a square one as it was the only one I had, so right off I knew I would have to adjust the composition. I planned on making this a design in color , using mostly the colors from the original and trying to keep the various shapes simple rather than doing a copy.
I opened the paints and started very quickly putting a layer of paint down on the shapes. That was fun. I used a large brush and quickly did that. The sky was really interesting to do and I wished at some point the goblet wasn't there as it got in the way of my nice bold paint strokes. I just made a curved shape for each of the ribbons and cloth. Then I went back and put the touches on both the sky and the cloth. I felt all the time I was delaying painting the goblet. Eventually I painted it but it was difficult to do in a similar loose way because it is so ornate and it had so much light reflecting on it.
Still I did it. It's okay but I wish it had been more simple in form.

I must say I enjoyed doing this second painting .The technique is so different that the tight strokes I used in the first painting and I think the end result was fine. 

4 comments:

  1. A cross between a van Gogh and a Picaso!
    Bold stokes are so refreshing!
    John

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi your second attempt is good especially that you kept a promise
    to yourself that you would make the effort. I have CES at the
    moment cold easel syndrome! haven't painted a thing for almost
    a couple of weeks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hoi Sab,
    ik vind dat het er spannend uit ziet eb mooie kleuren.
    groetjes Marja

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Marja
    I love the bright colors.

    ReplyDelete