Wednesday, July 24, 2013

The White Stag

The White Stag 
painting by Shirley
So we were coming home from shopping a few days ago and as we came over the hill on our road, there in front of us, slightly over to the grassy bank at the side of the road was this lovely creature- a white stag. It stopped, looked about as startled as we were to see it in midday and on the road as well , then with a few bounds, it was off with high leaps running gracefully along a side road.

This is not the first encounter we have had with this neighborhood creature. I saw it a while back , or one very similar along the road. I saw it in early morning just grazing peacefully along the side of the road but it was foggy that morning. I had passed it almost before I realized it was a deer but white? I really did think it was a dream or a hallucination until I mentioned it to some neighbors and they said there was a small herd of white deer that lived in the fields around our area. They were completely wild and managed to survive despite the encroaching building of new homes and even coyotes.

Such a gracefully creature and beautiful to behold. I hope they survive.

1 comment: