Sunday, July 21, 2013

Piggy in the Middle

Piggy in the Middle


While I was writing my pig joke the other day I remembered this old game we used to play. You might also remember it. I think it was 'PIG” that got my brain going.
This was a pretty simple game played with a ball and as many kids as you had.
If you had 3 children, 2 would stand about 15 feet apart or even further if they were older and throw the ball to each other. The third child ( the Piggy) would stand in the middle and try to catch the ball.
If you had lots of kids the group would stand in a circle and throw the ball to each other but usually to one on the other side of the circle. The child or piggy in the middle would try to catch the ball. If the piggy caught the ball the person who threw it, became piggy.
This game as I remember it often was a way of making life miserable for a younger sibling or smaller kid. I was small and never could catch the ball thrown way over my head. I would just give up on it and that often was the idea . It was a way of excluding friends in the playground .I did not like this game and even when I wasn't playing I always felt sorry for the piggy in the middle.

I bet it is still played today to tease some kids as well!!

No comments:

Post a Comment