Friday, July 26, 2013

Time Remembered with Cross Stitch


When my Mum was living she used to pop across the pond every so often to visit with us. As she got older in her 70s she would visit up to 3 months at a time and enjoyed joining in all the family activities. As she got older we kept the activities that were strenuous to a minimum to allow for her age which meant when she was staying with me we had to find things for her to do so she wouldn't get bored.
One thing she loved to do was to knit and crochet so that took some time but when you keep doing the same things it's nice to do something different for a change.
So one day I suggested doing some cross stitching. Now my Mum could sew simple stuff and mend clothing and even at times make her own dresses but had never had time to do leisure time sewing like embroidery or cross stitching.


I am not good at sewing,I can do basic darning which I learned in the Girl Guides and I can sew on a button. When I was at school at about age 7, we had to make a sampler of embroidery stitches but if there was a mark given for that it must have been a D I think. I found it very trying.
So I set to and bought some squares of cross stitch fabric and showed Mum how to go about it. She followed a pattern at first but then became quite creative and eventually made 4 colorful coasters which we still use today. They are a bit worn now but every time I see them I can see my Mum peering at the pattern and figuring out where to put the stitches. Not bad for an old lady of 79.


Maybe I'll make some too when I get to be 79 but don't hold your breath waiting for it!!

1 comment:

  1. It's a good thing to look back on the things that are now looked on as
    crafts and expensive to do! our ancestors were never idle for something to do from cross stitch, embroidery and knitting crochet
    etc. I tried teaching my daughter a few but in the end she decided
    it was better to buy it! good memories of simple useful things
    and time with your mum is a special thing.

    ReplyDelete