Monday, January 7, 2013

The Cranberry Bomb Episode




It started out with a way to use up some cranberry sauce that I had over from a batch we made for Christmas. It was a great sauce having some brandy and other festive ingredients added to it. We had made far too much and had frozen the rest.



I know what I'll do “,I said , “I'll make cranberry sweet bread”. I looked up the recipe , found all the ingredients ,and tools I would need. Half way through I remembered the cranberry sauce would need to be melted as it was still somewhat frozen . So I put it in the moderately warm oven and let it melt out while I mixed the butter and eggs and flour etc. until it was a nice crumbly mixture.
I opened the door of the oven and saw the cranberries had melted sufficiently and reached for the bowl. That's when it happened.
Splatt! bang! the bowl slipped from my fingers and crashed to the floor splattering cranberry and juice all over the cupboards, floor. oven just like a small bomb.
Now you know cranberry is one of those foods like beets and blackberries that stain on contact so I didn't give myself anytime to think. I rushed into action with masses of wet paper towels and Fantastic to wipe up as much as I could as fast as I could. I made an adequate job of it and even managed to save half the cranberry sauce so the sweet bread was saved.
Finally I continued with the recipe , not really liking the funny pink color that the bread mix looked before I put it in the oven and wondering just how it would turn out.

All this happened while Mike was out in the workshop so I thought it best not to mention it. No big deal. It wasn't until we were sitting down for lunch he said.” Whatever happened , did you cut yourself ,you have blood all over your face”.
Yes, the cranberry bomb had splattered me and when I looked up I realized the ceiling had got a direct hit as well.
The trouble was the cranberry bread wasn't very tasty either. 
I don't think I'll make it again.

No comments:

Post a Comment