Tuesday, September 10, 2013

Shirley the child

Shirley -the child 


And what a very plain little child at that!!.I think this photo was kept hidden away for years. Those are not special effects around the edges .It's the real stuff- mildew. I must have been about 7 to 8 years old I guess when this was taken. I had the little girls' favorite hairstyle ,the plaits bordering the head and I still remember the struggle to get the hair all parted out and put into plaits and the ribbon on the end every day. 
I can tell from the homemade clothes this must have been soon after the war as the jumper ( sweater) was no doubt knitted by my Mum. Just everyone knew how to knit in those days and the skill was put to good use in making sure the kids were all clothed in warm woolies. The pinafort skirt has all the marks of being  home made as well.
I remember this time as being a pretty happy time- too young to realize what was going on in the world , enough to eat and a home which was safe and warm. Friends to play with and time and freedom to be a regular kid. We lived in a neighborhood where everyone knew each other and all the mums helped all the kids and a sense of belonging prevailed. The only thing that was miserable were sweeties ( candies) were still rationed and you got them only once a week.! I remember it was about this time when I saw a banana for the first time. I had never seen one before.


2 comments:

  1. Happy little girl!
    It was a great time to be a kid, in spite of all the rationing and lack of money, but we had freedom to play wherever we want, and if you got a hole in your sock it would be darned by Grandma the next time Grandad took you fishing!
    John

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had the same hair do! weekends my hair was washed and rinced in vinegar to make it shine
    I must have smelled like fish and chips! Sunday was getting ready for Sunday School
    curling tongs in the fire and an hours making me lookalike Shirley Temple!
    Ah those were the days!

    ReplyDelete