Friday, March 22, 2013


A Happy Retirement
Mike's Icheban flower vase.

When you are working, there never seems to be enough time to do all the things you want to do or would like to try. So when people retire they suddenly have a whole lot of time in the day to fill in.
When retirement came, quite a while ago now for both Mike and I we welcomed it to try out new things . I became a volunteer for Meals on Wheels, the Friends of the Library and the local Humane Society. I tried keeping chickens, gardening, and painting. Pretty soon I found I was working harder than I had ever worked as a teacher but found it equally as rewarding. And still do.
Mike found new passions to follow. He decided he would like to try and become a cook but was unsure how to start. I was all for this as I like to cook but found cooking all the meals everyday was eating into my time for other things and so was happy for him to take over the cooking. I found a real easy cook book and gradually Mike worked his way through it . At first I helped with little comments and tips. These days he is a much better cook than I am and he still loves to cook each day. He likes to try new recipes and invite friends to come for a meal.
Latest project

His other passion was to try woodworking. He had done a little woodworking at High school but didn't get on very well. At one time was given the task of sharpening pencils as he couldn't do the required task given by the teacher. So he had a self challenge and a purpose He started with little things but has gradually built up both his tools and expertise so that he can make all kinds of lovely things. Nearly everyone in the family has something that I am sure will become a family heirloom, one that Dad/Grandad made.
We still find time to do other things that retired people do. We go for trips and plan day outings. We can sit and have a drink at lunchtime, or read or watch TV when we wish. We can have time to just sit together and talk and think.
Maybe that's the best part of retirement.
Time .

1 comment:

  1. Wow what lovely wood work, love the vase even with the frog
    all ready for Japaneze arrangements,just beautiful.
    The cabinet too will be a keeper for generations. really
    lovely work.

    ReplyDelete