Saturday, March 23, 2013

Yet Another Butterfly


Yet Another Butterfly
First attempt 

Saturday dawned thundery, wet and cold. What to do? Stay inside and think of Summer.
I had also bought a box of watercolor crayons yesterday and was interested in experimenting with them. I watched a couple of YouTube videos on the various techniques involved and set to.
You basically draw and crayon your subject with any of the lovely crayons and then very carefully add brushes of water over the parts of the drawing to blend the colors. Fairly easy to do and gives a nice soft impression.
I thought I'd try to draw a piece of bamboo leaf that I picked outside and that went well so then I found a butterfly and drew that.
I was quite pleased with my first attempt and I can see how these crayons could be used to supplement watercolor paints. I will try some different subjects. I am getting a little tired of butterflies.

2 comments:

  1. Watercolour is fun but so different than oil or acrylic, I found this video very helpful;
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ji4w5EVZqUs
    By Ross Barbera who is an inspiring painter in water or acrylic.
    John

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a lovely way to spend an hour or two, butterfly looks beautiful
    and delicate, even better when you can get it from your
    garden, even if it is a cloudy day.

    ReplyDelete