Saturday, March 2, 2013

Starry Starry Nights


Starry Starry nights-a painting Challenge

Van Gogh's    The Starry night


Every very month there is a painting challenge on the blog “Paint and Draw together” and I find it a good way to get motivated to paint. Maybe you have seen some of my past attempts.

Well in February a new challenge wasn't posted so I decided to give myself a challenge but who and what should I try to paint. It's a difficult choice to make as you want it to be a challenge. I looked at many old masters and just couldn't decide.

Then I was looking and listening to YouTube and heard one of my favorite tunes , Starry Starry night sung by Don McLean with just a lovely video of Van Gogh's paintings . http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nkvLq0TYiwI


Shirley's attempt at Starry night


When I saw it I knew which painting I would choose for my challenge.
It is a difficult painting to even look at let alone paint as the brush strokes go every which way and the beautiful colors swirl and blend so well and it is difficult to concentrate on just one part of the painting. 
Now I know why Van Gogh was such a marvelous artist.
I am sad he had to have such a sad life.
But what a legacy he left us to enjoy.

Post script>: From Wikipedia
 The Starry Night is a painting by the post-impressionist  artist Vincent van Gogh. The painting depicts the view outside his sanitarium room window at Saint-Rémy-de-Provence (located in southern France) at night, although it was painted from memory during the day. It has been in the permanent collection of the Museum of Modern Art in New York City, part of the Lillie P. Bliss Bequest, since 1941. The painting is among Van Gogh's most well known works.

1 comment:

  1. You really did a good job on this painting, a lot of work no doubt,
    it's interesting to copy a work of someone famous especially
    Van Gogh. Stuart did the Cafe outside and said he could almost
    feel him watching! as he painted it. congrats

    ReplyDelete