Wednesday, March 20, 2013

March 21 Mum's Birthday

Mum with Beth , Sheba and Little Greydog



March 21 is my mother's birthday and now that she has got her angel wings I still remember her on her special day, This term” when I get my angel wings” she used to use when she would speak of dying, She would rarely mention getting older or dying and I guess in her mind , she wasn't getting older as she was always full of life and ready to do any new adventure that came her way so dying wasn't something she would talk about. Whether she thought about it I never knew.
We could always remember Mum's birthday when we lived in England as it nearly always coincided with the first day of Spring and occasionally fell on Mother's day in England as well. We continued to send her birthday cards when we moved and also Mother's day cards but I never felt she understood why her Mother's day card came so late. When she got the card in May ( Mother's day in USA) she would mention nasty things about the post office being late again thinking the card should have come in March. Every time I would explain but I never seem to get through to her and by the next year we would have the same conversation.
Mum didn't have much time for dogs or cats or any pets really. I think her life had been hard when she was growing up and a pet would be just another thing that needed food and care. She did let me have pets though but I had to take care of them. I had rabbits and a terrapin, and eventually a dog. All I remember with lots of fond memories, Eventually Mum did get used to the idea of pets and had a little cocker spaniel, that was great company for her as she got older .When she came to visit made a great fuss of my dogs and even would let them sit beside her on the couch.
She never did take to my cats though.
So on this day March 21 I remember my Mum with love and affection.

1 comment:

  1. I love stories a out being a Mum, she sounds like many British Mums
    of the time, doing good things in hard times. My Mum was also.not
    too keen in pets, I can remember having a few pets over time,but,
    Tiddles the cat was a Favourite as he was a hard worker she said.
    Dogs another thing, she had been bitten by a german shepherd
    and kept a respectful distance from them, once bitten twice shy was
    her motto!

    ReplyDelete