Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Miss Tabby Cat



Miss Tabby cat

I first saw Miss Tabs when I was delivering Meals on Wheels to an old lady. She was running around with a bunch of other tabby kittens all abut 5 weeks old.This was about 1998
I'll see what I can do to find the kittens a home” I said. By the time I had found a foster to take them and went back there were only 4 kittens to be seen. To get anywhere near them or the mother was going to be difficult. Another 2 weeks went past before we had managed to catch 2 very unhappy and fierce little kittens. All the other kittens and mom had disappeared.
So I took them home and knew these would be hard kittens to socialize as these were semi feral cats.
I knew no foster would want them as this would be long term fostering to get them ready for adoption so they stayed with me.
Gradually they did become a little bit tamer and we called the female Miss Tabby and the male kitten, Spins as he had long spindle like legs. I did all the medical requirements, the testing and shots and spaying and neutering and worked at getting them ready and socialized around people so they could be adopted.
It took far too long and they were still wary around people even when they were about 9 months old . I realized these were going to become my cats and so I adopted them.

They were shy around the other cats and tended to hide in the house and but were okay around the dogs. They had been using the doggy door to go in and out and gradually they were coming in only for food a couple of times a day and preferred to sleep in the barn unless it was really cold or wet . They would occasionally come for a quiet petting or stroking but the slightest movement and off they would go. Their wild genes were kicking in. Calling them to come had no effect but they would always be around.

When we moved to our new house we had to catch them as they sensed something was about to happen. It took me 3 days before I managed to catch Miss Tabby and bring her to the new house. Spins was okay and all the cats were soon settled into the summer room. I wondered what would happen after I let these cats all out. Would they disappear again? Food was in the summer room so I reckoned they all would come there to be fed. They did and soon everyone was back in the same routine as they had at the other house.

This continued for a few more years. Spins disappeared for longer periods and longer periods and we reckoned he had found a new home somewhere.
I noticed Miss Tabs who was now about 12years old, had an eye that looked like it had a cataract forming. She had always had odd eyes; one green and one a hazy brown. She was still going out but spending longer time inside. She was still very timid especially around loud noises and any sudden movement. For a short while I kept her inside in one room as gradually her other eye became clouded and I realized she had become blind. She hated being kept inside and showed it by peeing on all the furniture .I was nervous about letting her out but one day I knew this inside prison was not a good way to keep this cat. She went outside while I watched her and began feeling her way around very slowly as if learning the new patterns of where she should go. She adapted fast and she now travels all over the house and yard comes in and out and sleeps outside in the sun or inside on a chair and manages with her disability to enjoy life. Its amazing how animals adapt.The best thing is she is now a happy cat enjoying a quiet retirement.

1 comment:

  1. It shows how much kindness and patience you have for creatures ,
    really amazing Miss Tabs is so independent finding our only
    cat very similar in her old age. She comes for a good pet by John
    in the morning and then settles down after breakfast for a good
    nap. She has found her voice lately and demands when it's time
    for supper with a squeaky noise.funny how you get to know what
    cats need so different but admiring. love the story

    ReplyDelete