Friday, March 8, 2013

Save the photos


Save the photos

I bet when you went to see an elderly relative or friend, one of the things that happened was out came the old photo albums. A great and interesting time full of memories came out as the album pages were turned. Lots of laughs and memories of great and sad times too.
When an elderly parent dies one of the things you usually find is  a box of assorted photos.When you check them out you have no idea , who some of the people are or where and when they were taken. But it's interesting to guess and realize your parents too were young and had a different life than you are having.

In our house we have this really clever photo cabinet which contains small albums of photos of our immediate family . I spent some time when we first got it as a gift , to sort out the photos so each person in our family had their own album. This was a favorite thing for the kids and grand kids to check out whenever they visited.

We also have lots of albums and envelopes of photos, videos and even film slides and I wish they had all been sorted out too but after 75 years you get a LOT of stuff.

So I started to put our latest photos on a computer stick straight from camera to computer to stick. Very easy.  I'm not entirely sure also that my photos have been going up to a “Cloud” somewhere but whether they are there or not I don't know as I have no idea how to find it.

All this fast changing technology makes me think that in a few years printed photos would scarcely be found so what will you be able to show your grand kids in the years to come.How will you remember what happened and who you saw and where was it?
I suspect my present stick will no longer work or we will have to have a new device to play it and as for the “Cloud” how will anyone find it.

So young people out there that read this. Take care to print some photos out when you take them on your smart phones and pads .Put them in a safe place and collect some of Grandmas photos too 
You'll be glad you did when you are as old as I am as photos make memories last.

1 comment:

  1. it has been a life long quest to get all our photos organised, I have my pics going back to the 1950's and my Dad's going back to the 1920's.
    Some have now been digitised, but most are in boxes and albums.
    One day though I'll sort them and put names to faces.
    One day?
    John

    ReplyDelete