Sunday, March 17, 2013

St Pat's Day 2013

Genuine Leprechaun Feet

We really do very little in celebrating St Patrick's Day but then we aren't Irish and it is their special day. I usually send St Pat's Day cards but this year the day crept up on me and I didn't get them out on time. So anyone who reads this,"Happy St Pats Day to you from us." Sorry it is a little late.
We did get out our special leprechaun shoes which it seems we have had for ever. I think once upon a time Mike used to wear them on St Pat's Day to work but now his feet are too big and I can't wear them as they  are too big for me. Plus I would have looked kind of silly digging in the garden especially as I know there isn't any pot of gold to be found there.

We made up for it by having colcannon for lunch. Mike found this Irish recipe which is basically  cabbage, potatoes , leeks  , ham, butter, milk and nutmeg  mixed together into a casserole. It is very tasty and I guess was a meal made during the times when the Irish were struggling with the bad times and food was not plentiful. If you ever want  to read an excellent historical novel about the potato famine and the struggles of the Irish plus the subsequent immigration of many of them to the USA especially to the settlement in Chicago, read Galway Bay by Mary Pat Kelly. It is an excellent read.


Mike also partook of a good Guiness and we both finished lunch with a good shot of Bailey's Irish cream with our coffee so I think we celebrated St Pat's Day rather well.
Wish you could have joined us.

1 comment:

  1. We celebrated with Lacashire Hotpot & Wells IPA.
    Lovely!
    John

    ReplyDelete