Sunday, March 10, 2013

The Self Challenge


The Self Challenge

Sometimes in life you need to set yourself a challenge. This happens where you are feeling a bit blah, or depressed or just want a change or even just something different to do. A self challenge gives you a purpose and a purpose is essential for living.
Now after the sermon, I'll tell you about a couple of challenges that I set myself.
My doctor had said .” You have high blood pressure and to get it to a better level you need to eat the proper diet and do more regular exercise". I left the right diet for Mike to figure out . After all he is the cook. I took on the regular exercise.

My challenge was to get walking on a regular basis, So I set myself to walking every day for about 1 mile. It was hard at first, I tried walking out on the street .That's not pleasant.You have to keep checking for cars etc and you can't keep up a steady pace. Then I hit on walking up and down my driveway and Mike ( the mathematician) figured out that 10 times up and down the driveway equaled a mile. It was calm, quiet and I could keep to a steady pace. That is until I decided if I had music and a good beat I'd do even better. Finding the right kind of music is the subject for another blog entirely. The outcome of all of this is that now I have been doing my walk for close to 7 years every morning. My blood pressure is much better and that challenge is now “old hat”. I think the diet has helped as well.

The other self challenge I have set myself, and this is because I knew I was in a rut, watching TV, reading, sitting around more and being less creative, was writing this blog. But not just writing a blog. I had done that off and on last year and knew I could do that. This time the challenge for myself was to keep writing a new and interesting blog everyday for a year. I decided at the outset to incorporate any creative work , painting, photography in as well as writing so it became my Plog.We are now up to Spring about ¼ of the way so far so good.

Thanks for reading and giving me feedback it helps me keep going.

PS Our mountain of clippings is down to 1/3 the size it was and about 50 wheelbarrow loads moved.

1 comment:

  1. I admire your efforts, since I have known you there has been no
    sign of any extra weight that I have noticed! but, the walk on your
    property must be a good thing fresh air and knowing you needed
    a push in the right direction makes all the difference to feeling good.
    I like your plogging it's fun,and your paintings and stories I look
    forward to, so keep your regime going with Mike fueling you up
    with good suppers, life can't be bad! I must challenging myself
    soon when the snow melts my excuse!

    ReplyDelete