Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Spinach is not great even for late birthdays


Spinach is not great even for late birthdays

Today was a soup day and yes, it wasn't Wednesday, our usual soup day but on Monday, friends Sally and Joe called and said they would be coming by our house today . So we thought how nice it would be to have a soup day with them as they were the ones who gave us our Soup Bible book and started us on soup days. So that is how Soup Day was today!!

Mike decided to make Spinach soup. He hadn't made that one before and it looked good. It was a quick and easy soup without lots of preparation time and we could make it easily for our friends. It had the usual ingredients and I bet you can guess the major one. It also had onions , leeks and potatoes and various spices. What it didn't have was a broth base only water. Mike queried that but decided as this was the first time to make this soup he would keep to the recipe and use only water. What a mistake.
The soup looked good. A very dark green color and I bet you can guess why. It have lovely swirls of cream on the top and Sally thought I liked that because I am artistic which I did.

Unfortunately the soup was rather bland. I even had to add salt to mine , something I very rarely do. Mike only gave it a 7 and our friends a similar number( they were being polite I think) but I was honest and gave it a 5. I didn't like the texture and was disappointed in the result after it looked so good. We had a green salad with fruit and really nice fresh baked bread so we did have something to eat but we wish it could have been better.

WE made up for it with lots of conversation as we hadn't seen our friends for a while. You know it's been a while as I had rocks to give them that I had collected last summer and their Christmas presents. Sally and Joe brought me a birthday gift and a card. This 75th birthday is really going on a long time! The gift was a lovely set of white dishes that match the soup plates they had previously given us.

So maybe next time they come to visit we can use the dishes to prepare a real tasty lunch !!
The card was really cute and shows how well they know us.
Thanks Sally and Joe. It was good to see you.
Sorry about the soup!!

No comments:

Post a Comment