Wednesday, April 17, 2013

An Evening at Home.


An Evening at Home.

When Mike was a busy working man always on the go, I came across this poem that I think my friend Hazel found and gave it to him as a present.
Very appropriate for the hurly burly of modern living.
(Also kind of nice for stormy evenings!!)

                            No Place to Go by Edgar Guest

The happiest nights I ever know
Are those when I've no place to go.
And the missus says when the day is through
Tonight we haven't a thing to do”

Oh the joy of it and the peace untold
Of sitting round in my slippers old
With my pipe and book in my easy chair
Knowing I needn't go anywhere.

Needn't hurry my evening meal
Nor force the smiles that I do not feel,
But can grab a book from a near-by shelf
And drop all sham and be myself

Oh the charm of it and the comforts rare;
Nothing on earth with it can compare;
And I'm sorry for him who does't know
The joy of having no place to go.

1 comment:

  1. A perfect evening (well except for the pipe!)
    If only more of us followed this now and then!
    John

    ReplyDelete