Friday, April 5, 2013

The Beautiful Bluebell Woods

My bluebells


When I was young , I mean very young. possibly about 7 or 8,one of the great pleasures was to go with a group of other kids to the bluebell woods in the spring. I can still remember the masses of bluebells and the new green of the trees. Strangely enough I can't remember any scent from the flowers .
There were so many bluebells growing that you would have to walk through them. We would pick armfuls of them to take home with us. I just hope they have survived the sprawl of suburbia. It was creeping ever close to the woods when we left over 40 years ago so who know now.


That is probably why last year I picked some bulbs from a catalog that sort of looked like English wood bluebells. I was pretty disappointed last year when all I got was some spindly green leaves.
This year they have done much better although I have only a few growing. Still they were enough to remind me of the beautiful Bluebell woods.

1 comment:

  1. Blue bells are a beautiful flower and pictures of them make me very nostaglic for my youth!
    A local photographer has some great pics of bluebells in the woods, Tom Wray here:
    http://www.imagesphotoart.com/index.htm

    John

    ReplyDelete