Sunday, April 14, 2013

The Evening Primrose


The Evening Primrose   


When we first moved into this house 6 years ago one of the first flowers that we saw in the Spring was a whole bunch of these pretty pink flowers. I looked them up and figured they were called Mexican Evening Primrose. They were growing under some trees in a shady area. For a few years each Spring we would have a couple of small areas that had sometimes a few flowers and sometimes a few more.
This year for some reason whether it is our peculiar weather patterns we are having those areas have no evening primroses growing .
Don't be sad though as this is made up by the many that are coming up in my main flower beds in such profusion that they are wiping some of the other small seedlings out. So although they are pretty when they are on mass, some just had to go so that is what I did today -spent a good amount of time just pulling some out.


I figured out that they must have seeds that spread by being flung out the farthest from where they were or we had some really good winds that blew the seeds. They also have roots that travel underground and come up as a new plant where I don't want them to.
So now I know how they produce new plants I'll make sure next year to look for them before they try to take over.
Must try to paint them..

No comments:

Post a Comment