Thursday, April 4, 2013

Today I met Barney

Barney


Today was my shelter visit day. I do this about every 2 weeks or so to take photos of the cats and dogs waiting to be adopted.
I have to guard my emotions very carefully as I do this as it is very easy to become overwhelmed by the future I know awaits many of these creatures.
Many pets that were dumped ,badly treated or just pushed aside after the novelty of pet ownership wore off probably feel that this shelter is a good refuge .At least they are in a dry warm place and get food and water.
Pretty soon though they must feel very disappointed ,as days go by and they sit and wait for an owner who never comes.
I see this when I arrive to take their photos. As we get each dog out of the run you can see them almost thinking , "Finally I'm going somewhere. Outside .I haven't been forgotten after all”. How sad they must feel when we put them back in the runs after a just a few moments outside.
Today I took a photos of a little dog we called Barney. He is just a mixed mutt, labeled shepherd mix, just a term used for the mix breed you often see in shelters. Barney was sitting almost shivering with fear as we open the gate of the run. I asked what his story was and was told a lady with kids had found him and although he was great with the kids she couldn't keep him. I bent down to pet him and saw that this little fellow was desperate for some love and attention. He brightened up and even stood up while we fussed him and told him what a good dog he was.
I wondered what his real story was? Was he one of these cute pups that someone took from a friend and when he got bigger,  got tired of him and put him outside even though the kids loved to play with him.So he just wandered off looking for some attention and company.

I also wondered what would become of him. He doesn't show well. Most people looking for a new dog want a status dog or a cutesy fluff ball or a pure bred.
Poor Barney will probably not even get a glance and he might just possibly be the best dog that anyone could ever have.

1 comment:

  1. This story breaks my heart, we still send donatins to dogs and cat
    rescue but, sadly it's never ending. You can tell from your photo
    how sad he is and like say scared too. I do hope someone seeing
    him will take the advantage of Barney. Inthink he will be such
    a great pet for some one with lots of love to spare.

    ReplyDelete