Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Painting with watercolors The Iris


Painting with watercolors The Iris



As I mentioned before I have never really used real watercolor paints so having now tried I find it difficult, absorbing, very different to oil and acrylic painting and very interesting.
I say this because when I painted the iris I tried to follow the technique's I saw on a couple of you- tube videos and it really is more difficult than it looks when a master painter is painting.
My paints are old tubes that I have had for a long time but I managed to find enough in them to use but if I want to get better colors I will have to buy newer fresher paints I think. My brushes were just fine as I have already a complete selection of brushes.
 I did find out that the paper you use is a challenge and had to try a different couple of things to make it less wavy when finished. The masking techniques were hard to do successfully but it is intriguing to do and I can see how it would be really helpful in some paintings.
I do like that it is far easier to set up and get going that the other kinds of painting plus you use only a very little paint. I guess the big expense would be to get the best kind of paper especially if you were to do a large painting.
I think the thing I found most interesting is that because of the water on both the paper and the paint you never can quite tell what effect you will get so it's always a surprise...at least to me.

2 comments:

  1. Lovely painting Shirley, it whispers "Iris"!
    The few times I have used watercolour I have enjoyed the experience, and will do more.
    My attempt at painting irisis has been made easier by some photos just recieved!
    thanks mike
    John

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your water colour painting really shows how delicate the petals are
    on this flower, I tried an iris too but did it in oils as I haven't got the
    technique down, John is coming along with the big painting
    and hopefully should be complete with Mikes photo's to help
    with the details. A lovely flower to have in your garden.
    Today the weather is giving up a good blast of sleet, snow and
    blowing winds. Sure is. late Apring this year!

    ReplyDelete