Friday, November 8, 2013

Feeling Old

Feeling Old   
the little old people

Some days I just feel old!! Usually it's when the weather is dreary or I haven't had a good night's sleep or maybe I did too much the previous day . When I do I often think of these little carved wooden figures.
They are probably about 40 years old by now. I remember we bought them as a gift for Mike's parents when we had been on holiday and had gone to visit them in their retirement home in England. I think we had originally bought them because when we saw them in the store , they reminded us of Alice and Percy. They would sit in their matching arm chairs and that is how we remember themeven now although they have passed on a while ago

I can remember when we gave the carvings to them, they thanked us but didn't seem to be especially thrilled with them. I think I can understand why now. No one wants to think of themselves as old but until you reach that stage in life you really can't begin to understand that. I think I am beginning to do so now.

The little figures were kept on the mantleshelf with all their other little treasures which they had collected through the years.When we eventually went to clear up after Alice died, the little figures came back with us to sit on our shelf.

I often look at them and think we are getting closer to being like these figures each year especially when I'm feeling old.
Good idea from tinypic,com

1 comment:

  1. I know how you feel, mid 70's is a different time! i am learning to be patient at last.
    John

    ReplyDelete