Tuesday, November 5, 2013

November 5th, Guy Fawkes Day

November 5th, Guy Fawkes Day


Remember remember the fifth of November
Gunpowder, treason and plot.
I see no reason why gunpowder, treason
Should ever be forgot...

A treason plot that went very wrong and a traitor who got what was coming to him ( or so they say). 
Guy Fawkes day in Britain these days is no longer a state holiday as it once was but now more a social day of bonfires and fireworks.

I didn't much care for this day and celebration in England when I was growing up. It comes in November and it is often a wet, cold, foggy time. I did not care for the boys throwing fireworks around and I am always a bit wary of fires.


One thing I do remember is we would make a GUY up of old clothes stuffed with newspaper and then go around saying.” Penny for the Guy' It got to be quite a competition in my street.
My Dad loved to have a bonfire and I think it was him who helped us make the bonfire and burn up the guy.( and a lot of other junk as well).


Guy Guy string him up on High!!”

1 comment:

  1. "Guy Fawkes by William Harrison Ainsworth is a good read but requires patience!
    John

    ReplyDelete