Wednesday, November 13, 2013

To read this way or that way...

                 To read this way                       or that way...


now that is the question.

I read a lot. Usually 2 or 3 books a week. Not always the same book at once as I like to keep a book by my bedside which I read every night and I keep that as a special. I don't read much at night as I get too tired and fall asleep so it takes a while to finish that book
I always have another book on the go somewhere around the house and maybe even 2 as sometimes I start a book only to give it up after I find I have no interest in the story, it is not well written or strangely enough I have read it before.
My virtual bookshelf

 I have started to read books on my ASUS tablet . I have only just started to do this and it certainly has it's pros and cons. It is good for fiction and cheap as I can borrow books for 2 weeks from the library exchange for free. There are plenty to choose from and a hold facility where you can be put on a waiting list for a special book.
I can set the font as large as I want to so don't have to use my reading glasses which always seem to go missing just when I need them. It is lightweight and fairly easy to use unless the memory is low- my fault, or the cat keeps nudging the edge of the tablet and turning the page over. That can be really annoying.
Sometimes after a while when I read I feel my eyes blurring and someone told me that is because the light maybe too high on the tablet.I probably can adjust that.
Tablet reading

It is not so easy to pick up and start reading the tablet as a regular book and for some reason doesn't give me the 'cosy” feeling I get when I read a regular book.
The big issue I have with tablet books  is I am given a date when the book will suddenly stop working so I am reading to a deadline and feel I have to keep reading whether I feel like it or not and that isn't pleasant.

I do like browsing all the books on the tablet and reading the reviews from other people so I guess I shall read both kinds and probably enjoy both in the right situation and consider myself lucky that reading is such a pleasure.

1 comment:

  1. love the ken Follet book you have there, but must admit it would be a challenge to read with a 2 week deadline ticking away.
    For the last year all my reading has been by e-readers, just love em, first a Kobo now an iPad mini. I like being able to change the font size and the brightness, and love browsing the books in the elibrary, I have found so many new authors it's mind blowing.
    Enjoy
    John

    ReplyDelete