Saturday, November 2, 2013

Lily on the pond
my not very successful painting


This month's painting challenge on http://paintanddrawtogether.blogspot.com/  was a photograph of a beautiful water lily on a pond. It looked simply enough until I tried it.
I thought I would have a change and do an oil painting on a larger canvas but didn't reckon on the oil paints having dried out considerably during the hot summer months when I had been painting with mostly water colors. I had left the oil paints out on the side and in my hot studio room with only occasional air conditioning ,some of the paints must have become so hot the tops came right off and the tubes went hard. I didn't think an oil paint would do that. Also my linseed oil had gone into a jelly like mass so even though I started the painting I gave up pretty quickly with it.
So I went back to the water colors and really just didn't like the results I was getting. The reflection on the water was difficult to do and no way could I find the correct pink/mauve color for the lily. 

Original challenge photo

So this is not one of the painting I like very much.
There's always next month's challenge to look forward to.

2 comments:

  1. You must have felt disappointed after the oils gave up on you the heat really can make a mess,
    water colours seem to work better in Texas when it's that hot! good thing is you managed a picture!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Must have been hot there I've never heard of oil paints popping their tops, but linseed oil always goes to jelly in time, stinks too!
    The water lily is quite a challenge, I did one a few months ago in water colour and the main thing required was patience of which I have a great shortage!
    John

    ReplyDelete