Monday, November 18, 2013

Larry the llama

Larry the llama  


As we drove home yesterday I glanced over at the neighbors property as they usually have a couple of horses grazing but no there was no sign of them. However at the back of the pasture was a big white/gray woolly creature. Mike stopped the car and I ran across the road to get a photo. The creature came nearer , slowly at first and then when I made encouraging noises came right over to the fence to see me.

Now he ( I guess it was a he) had that snooty, arrogant look that seemed to say. “If you haven't get a treat for me, I'll spit on you !”so I kept well back. He did have a wooly coat but close up he had big patches of brown on the gray. Interesting animal but I'm not sure if it was a llama or an alpaca. I've noticed a few of those around some of the field in this area lately.

I'm also not sure if these are kept as pets or have been rescued. A couple of years ago it seemed every other field had a couple or so donkeys .That was when a couple of donkey sanctuaries went out of business and lots of donkeys had to find new homes. There was also a zebra in a field right by our town hall, but his owner said he had been rescued as well. Along one of the major highways there is a field that always has a herd of buffalo grazing there. Once it even had a camel mixed in with the herd.

I guess we have a lot of kindly folk around here that rescue these odd animals to give them a home so it makes for interesting driving .

I think I still prefer the horses . 

No comments:

Post a Comment