Sunday, December 8, 2013

Let's start the Christmas decorating

Let's start the Christmas decorating


Quite frankly We don't do a lot of decorating. Mike puts up a string of lights outside and is in charge of that. I get to do the inside decorating for Christmas.

In England I remember we didn't do outside decorating but that maybe because it was soon after the war and everything was scarce and expensive. I remember we made paper chains , circles of colored paper linked together and we would link them from all corners of the room to the middle light and think that was great.

Today I don't do much better. I have a few things that I have collected over the years and I find it lovely to bring those out and remember.

In England we would bring in holly and ivy and hang mistletoe branches but here the holly and ivy stays outside to feed the birds with the bright berries and the mistletoe grows high up in the trees and it really a curse as it will kill the tree.


So instead of that kind of greenery I use my house plants. One year I bought a some beautiful red silk poinsettia flowers and I use them each year to decorate. It gives a nice effect.

I usually buy a real poinsettia too but it never seems to lasts to the next year.

1 comment:

  1. Your decorations look fresh a d lovely sitting by windows, cheerful to get up to in the morning.
    We had a small amount of snow over night, which is our signal to whip out and buy something
    fresh for the parlour, that is after we do a bit more shopping.Actually got round to a bit of
    spring cleaning so the house smells of polish, I can remember mansion polish even now,
    but too dangerous to use in case of slippage!

    ReplyDelete