Wednesday, December 4, 2013

The Giving of Christmas Gifts


I know Christmas presents have their beginning in the story of the 3 wise men bringing their gifts of gold ,frankincense and myrrh to the Baby Jesus. Alsowe remember and celebrate the gift that God gave to us by giving his son Jesus to the world.

I remember very fondly the gifts I got when I was a child. A large dolls' house appeared at the end of my bed bought by Father Christmas is the one I will always remember. It even had a little light that could be turned on and off and lots of furniture. That was a very special gift for me. I also remember the joy our boys got when they saw the presents under the Christmas tree and the things they had dropped hints for for a while were there in the shiny paper boxes. Their delight became ours and the giving of the present was more fun than the getting.

Now we have no small children around in our family. Most of us buy what we want when we want and so finding presents for everyone has no special meaning and becomes a chore rather than a pleasure. That's really rather sad I think. So we try to regain the fun and pleasure in Christmas gift giving by finding that different thing, the unusual object, the one of a kind gift that will remind us about the fun of Christmases past.


I shall be so glad when there are children around again to share their delight in the gifts.

No comments:

Post a Comment