Friday, December 13, 2013

The Three Kings

The Three Kings

We three kings of Orient are
bearing gifts we traverse afar
Field and fountain, moor and mountain
Following yonder star...
O-Oh.....
This was one of my favorite carols growing up and I was always very impressed with the story of three wise , rich men who would travel so far to see a new baby. There obviously was more to this story than we are told.
I didn't think too much about the gifts they bought at that time when I was young and singing out the carol.

Born a King on Bethlehem plain
Gold I bring to crown him again
I certainly knew about Gold not that we had much of it around but even the color gold was a wondrous thing.Frankincense and myrrh were unknown to me but I just thought they must be special if these 3 wise men would bring them as a gift.

Frankincense to offer have I
Incense owns a Deity nigh
Myrrh is mine, its bitter perfume
Breathes of life of gathering gloom
Today I looked them up on the internet and found out they were indeed a very scarce commodity and therefore much desired and expensive in the days of Jesus.
They had been used since about 5000 BC mainly because of their scent and also used in medicines, healing and in preparing bodies in death.If I had understood all the words of the carol I might have figured that out.
Frankincense tree

Both are a form of a waxy resin which is harvested from the trees in the same way as maple syrup is collected. It is then formed into small pellets before it is used and was sold for good profit. It was grown in the hot desert areas of the mid east and considered more valuable than gold at that time.

So now I know why the wise men brought their gifts.
But I think the chorus is really the part I liked the best.

O-Oh Star of wonder, star of night
Star with royal beauty bright
Westward leading, still proceeding

Guide us to thy perfect light

1 comment:

  1. Funny how these old carols stick in our memories, thank goodness too! Such nostalgia.
    John

    ReplyDelete