Friday, December 20, 2013

The Christmas Robin

The Christmas Robin  


I think if you get a card from England and you see one of these little perky round birds with a red breast you will know you have a card that originated in England rather than here in USA.

The robin is a favorite character at Christmas and often appears as a photograph or a drawing or painting. They are cheerful little birds with their bright red breasts and so nice to see in the dull winter. There used to be many of them when I lived in England and I certainly hope they are still to be seen in the English country side.

When I first came to Dallas , someone said to me , you'll see lots of robins around here but I never could see any and still haven't.
American robin

 The reason is that little perky robin we have in England doesn't live here .The robin referred to by Americans is the American robin which looks more like an English thrush with a dull red breast. Yes we do see American robins around here, They dig for worms under the trees. But on Christmas cards? Never.
The cardinal is the bird most seen on American cards.


1 comment:

  1. a classic to my eyes too, first seeing a North A,erican robin it looked huge to me.
    the English one sort of fits Christmas Cards perfectly.

    ReplyDelete