Sunday, December 22, 2013

My Pet-resistant Christmas Tree

My Pet-resistant Christmas Tree
Photo by MIke


The photo you see here is my Christmas tree. Not a usual Christmas tree for sure.
But it does the job well at my house.

I think I told the story of how this tree came to be in another blog but I can tell it again. Last year Mike was making Laura's circular shoe rack and had lots of triangular type pieces of wood left over. He was going to throw them away. I said “ No we can make that into a Christmas tree “and so we did. It has worked out pretty well.
It is heavy and substantial so it doesn't get knocked over like a regular tree in our house would. It has lots of holes in it to hang all the goodies and I can put lights on it to make it look pretty.
It doesn't look good in the daylight until you look closely and then you can see all the “memory ornaments” collected throughout the years. You will see there are not too many of them. They have all been broken. That's another reason we don't have a regular tree.

A regular tree in my house for years meant a hazard with all the dogs and especially the cats thinking it was a special interest bought in for their pleasure. The dogs would drink the piney water , wag their tails and knock the whole thing down, get caught up in the strings of lights , eat any candy canes or goodies on it and drag pine needles all over the house. I think a few of them( the males) also thought it was a bathroom made especially for them. The cats likewise took great pleasure in the yearly tree. They loved to play hide and seek in the branches and play with the tinsel and those glass balls were just irresistible .Unfortunately glass ornaments don't bounce!!
No wonder we gave up on a Christmas tree after a few years.

Now with my wooden recycled tree we can have the decoration and memories without the problems.... or maybe the pets are just so much older now that they would rather sleep.

1 comment: