Sunday, May 5, 2013

Butterfly on Poppy Painting


Butterfly on Poppy Painting
My painting in watercolor


So I tried to capture Mike's photo of a beautiful swallowtail butterfly on one of the many poppies we have in the garden in watercolor paint.
The most difficult part was getting the wing color dark enough; I must have put 5 different washes on it to get the color to stand out. I am still so used to mixing the color once as I do in acrylic without having to go over it again and again. Also the pattern on the wing was complicated. Still I knew that from the previous painting of butterflies.
I enjoyed painting the poppy petals and will try some more poppy paintings as I still haven't got the translucent look I want yet.
Photo by Mike

1 comment:

  1. Yea Gods Shirley you are really on a roll with water colours and
    up to date too! looks good butterfly and background looking really
    good.

    ReplyDelete