Wednesday, May 29, 2013

Mexican Hats

Mexican Hats


A dull cloudy but warm day so I went out to do yard work mostly clearing up the dead stuff, pulling up finished flowers and de -seeding poppies. If you have a garden area as big as mine you could work outside for 24 hours a day and never finish so I do a bit here and there whenever I feel like it. I am definitely a “pottering gardener”.
I was checking on the front easement along the road outside our house. The local ordinance requires us to keep the grasses etc under 12inches. A couple of weeks ago I had cut the grasses being careful to leave anything I thought might just be a wild flower . It looked rather messy when I had finished as I had tufts of grasses sticking up all over the place. Since then we have had a little rain and lots of sun so I thought I would check this morning to see if it needed mowing again.
What a lovely surprise I got.

Mexican hat

( No nobody had been out there and mowed it for me.)
There was a lovely area of Mexican hat wild flowers growing. These are pretty tall flowers in various shades of yellow and browns and you can see they get their name from the very distinctive shape. So pretty when nearly all the other flowers have gone.

Looks like the mowing will have to wait until another day.


No comments:

Post a Comment