Wednesday, May 1, 2013

May Day, May Day


May Day, May Day  
I hope they survive this time

A beautiful Spring day here. I put in over 50 red impatience  bedding plants in areas that needed a little color. The last lot I put in mostly got zapped by the late frost so I hope these do better. 
Although I just heard on the news there is a cold front swooping down on us and Denver was covered in snow again.  Here we can expect falling temperatures again with even a danger of frost in some outlying areas away from the hot concrete cities.Can you believe it? on May 1 in Texas.
So I nearly called out "May day, May day!". I just can't go around and cover all the plants up again for the third or 4th time this year. 
I was thinking about the distress call May day and couldn't thing where it came from. Obviously not from the actual May day which is associated with maypoles , or marching or moving depending on which country you live in. My only deal with a maypole was getting some cub scouts and brownies in England to dance around one for an event. It was an absolute disaster.The ribbons on the pole all got tangled. The kids thought is great fun.
It  seems the May day distress call  comes about because it was developed as the emergency call between British and French early air controllers and "m'aider" is the origin.
So now you know and so do I.

1 comment:

  1. "m'aider"! never knew that, interesting,
    My Mother always said "never cast a clout till May is out" and I think the same can be said about planting annuals!
    John

    ReplyDelete