Tuesday, May 28, 2013

The Amazing Fly Deterrent

But Will it Work?


When I saw this idea going around the web , I thought that will never work. Then a friend said she had tried it and it certainly DID work.
It's the amazing fly deterrent.
So we were at our son and daughter -in -laws house for a Memorial day get- together sitting outside by the pool under semi cloudy skies. As soon as we sat down a few flies decided to join us. They could smell all the delightful pre-dinner snacks out on the table. Oh I thought this will be the perfect place to try out the fly experiment because as soon as we sat down a few flies decided to join us.
I went inside , found a sandwich bag , put some pennies in it and then covered them with water. I sealed it up and then with grandson Mike's help we hung the bag above the food . I explained what I was doing and I could see they all thought here's crazy old Grandma again with her weird ideas!!

How does it work they all wanted to know?
As I have no idea even IF it would work let alone know if it did, how it could deter flies , I just said wait and see.
So we waited and all I can tell you is yes the flies did seem to keep away from the table.

A debate ensued then about was this a chemical reaction between the pennies in the water or a smell or even the smoke coming from the smoky BBQ cooking the sausages. I preferred my idea that the coins reflect in the water and to a fly with its multiple eyes , it looks like another creature with masses of eyes so it is scared away. Sounds logical to me anyhow!!

I think I'll try it again and hang a couple of bags over this computer because there’s a d*** fly that keeps on trying to read this as I am typing!! Obviously it doesn't want this deterrent to catch on.


No comments:

Post a Comment