Thursday, May 9, 2013

The pretty purple plant


The pretty purple plant 
verbena rigida

So last year I noticed this pretty purple plant growing in the Spring flowers. I never gave it much thought but it was attractive. The butterflies and bees loved it. Little did I realize that it was verbena rigida, a very invasive verbena. This year it is everywhere. It grows not only by seed but by stolons under the ground so it has gone all over the flower beds. I won't worry too much as it is still a lovely purple plant and I can always dig it up when I don't want it.
As I am trying to convert the "lawn" into a more environmentally natural , less water -needing area, this might just be the plant that can help. I will try it and find out.

1 comment:

  1. You can buy a pot for 8 pound in UK, maybe you should export it over there!
    Lovely looking flowers

    ReplyDelete