Monday, May 6, 2013

What is it?


What is it?


Mike came to me the other day and said “What it this?”
I looked at the odd brown smelly shape in his hand that looked like an old brown tennis ball that had been left out through a couple of winters and said,” I don't know. What is it? Where did you find it”
It appears he found it in the back of the car which we take when we travel. It had rolled with it's identical twin into the corner and no one had noticed them before.

I held it in my hand. It was hard and groovy and it did smell kind of musty.
A momentary flash of memory passed through me.
Didn't Jean, our friend in Canada , pick that up when we were out visiting the nature reserve last year? Mike didn't think so but he did remember going to the nature reserve. I thought again. “I think maybe she said they are black walnuts”. “No” Mike said, “ we were  looking at persimmon trees?”
I disagreed and said“No if thse were persimmon fruit they would have dried up all swishy and I am sure the smell would be bad. I bet they are black walnuts.”

So I did what I usually do. I looked up black walnuts on the computer and there they were just like the 2 we had found.
So problem solved.
Now what do we do with them??

No comments:

Post a Comment