Thursday, May 30, 2013

Too much Green

Too much Green  
First attempt.

I tried my first water color landscape painting and I think I bit off more than I could chew. The original photo was one I had taken in our garden in early Spring just when the trees were all coming out in that fresh apple green color and a few irises were blooming. I liked the photo and thought it gave a lovely feeling of Spring.

My photo


I started the painting by covering the whole paper with a light green yellow wash. The tree trunks were the main element in the composition with the bridge thrown in for added interest. To say painting it was difficult was an understatement. The green was just overwhelming and I kept losing the tree trunks and branches in the foliage. It never seemed to be just right. The more I kept trying to make it correct, the more it seemed to get worse so finally I stopped and thought next time I do a landscape I'll keep it simple.
I can see by comparing the painting with the photo I needed to make a lot more contrast in the painting.

2 comments:

  1. Squint: the best way to set values, so often we look at each element and see it in it's own right, it needs to be seen relative to the other elements - hence Squint!
    John

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Shirley, I think your garden is quite lovely, especially the iris. I must admit when comes to
    squinting I wouldn't be able to workout that one, squinting it seems you can see the colours
    but with me it's impossible cant see a thing, another thing to practice.
    I have learned on thng NOT to do that is ask the recipient of your work
    if they see anything I could do to make things better! Oh boy not a good idea
    for the ego.

    ReplyDelete